Finfish is a private group employing 22 people who operate world class tropical finfish production in Cairns, Queensland Australia. These facilities include a breeding facility and growout pond farm.
The breeding facility is capable of commercially breeding 3 species of fingerlings from the Grouper family – Giants, Gold Spot and Tiger. Coral Trout is also being produced with ongoing R&D required to enhance survival rates to achieve commercial production. The facility’s controlled environment contains unique systems and processes that allow the adult broodstock fish to spawn monthly producing more than 200 million fertilised eggs per annum. This translates into approximately 10 million fingerlings per annum. The home for some of these fingerlings is our pond farm which comprises 17 hectares of ponds that can produce approximately 350 tonnes per annum of plate sized fish. Stage 1 of our growth strategy is to expand our facilities to allow for the production of 1,500 tonnes per annum of plate sized fish to be sold into Australia, Asia and the Middle East. Once this is achieved, we will focus on building additional facilities both here and overseas in order to achieve our longer term plans.
CEO | Alan Wigan
- Chartered Accountant with 25 years experience in mining and professional services sectors
- previously held Chief Financial Officer roles for both listed and private entities
- last two years spent developing and implementing commercialisation strategies for Finfish
General Manager | Dr. Richard Knuckey
- Completed PhD at the CSIRO Marine Laboratories in Hobart
- 28 years of experience in the aquaculture industry
- Last 15 years have been on the development of Grouper hatchery and grow-out technologies for tropical Groupers
Operations Manager | Rhys Mitchell
- 16 years’ experience working in the aquaculture industry with Mussels, Kingfish, Snapper, Salmon, Barramundi, Coral Trout & Grouper
- Previously Farm manager for Kingfish farm and Operations manager in the Clam fishing industry in New Zealand.
- Developing Grouper & Coral Trout grow out & farming techniques since 2014.
In 1999 Dr. Richard Knuckey joined a plan to diversify aquaculture and protect coral reefs. He and his team would go on to develop new broodstock techniques for Giant Grouper and other high value species of reef fish. The unique proposal found favour within the Queensland Government and was awarded funding and the Tropical Finfish project began.
The team had not only reached their goal of pioneering new techniques but also created a world-class tropical finfish hatchery. Fast forward fifteen years and Tropical Finfish has stepped out on its own as a private operation and is now the only breeder of Giant Grouper in Australia and one of only a handful in the world. In addition to Giant Grouper, Tropical Finfish raises three other species in the Grouper family: Gold Spot, Tiger and Coral Trout.
Tropical Finfish is the commercial culmination of 15 years of research under the leadership of Dr. Richard Knuckey with the support of the Queensland state government. With exclusive access to wild broodstock collected from the York Peninsula, Tropical Finfish holds Australia’s first and only aquaculture permit allowing commercial captive breeding and grow-out production of market-size Queensland giant grouper.
By combining the right species with novel feeds, proper sitting and innovative practices (supported by robust monitoring), Tropical Finfish is able to deliver outstanding environmental performance in a scalable model.